Mid-Week Mentor

Friday, May 21, 2010

Time out!

Every year I love the changing of the seasons in Central Pennsylvania. This past year was a particularly challenging winter with cold, snow and ice and it seemed to stretch on forever. Spring comes with newness, a refreshing of the air, birds singing, new smells and the warmth of the sunshine which gives us hope of what is to come. Stop what you are doing today and everyday and enjoy the change.

Several years ago, while working in Scranton, PA, I walked out the door of the hotel where I was staying and stood waiting for an associate to pick me up. While waiting, I could not help but notice the doorman standing off to my right with a bright cheerful smile and I noticed his name tag read “John”. “John” I said, how are you?” He smiled and said “Sir, I am Terrific!” I continued with “John, that is great, but why are you terrific so early this morning in the middle of Scranton, PA?” He said “Sir, listen. Do you hear them…the birds?”

That day I decided that for the rest of my life I would be terrific as well! If John the doorman in Scranton, PA can be terrific and up lifted by a beautiful newness of a spring day with nothing more than the singing of birds…I had no excuses.

I wonder what would happen to our businesses if we approached our markets, our current customers and new potential customers with the same freshness as we embrace the changing of the seasons. I wonder what we would really hear! What new customer motivations might influence our offerings that would directly impact our cash flow and profits? I wonder what John the doorman would hear because he would be beyond the normal customer and prospect needs, wants and benefits. John the doorman would hear the motivations behind the benefits!

Action Steps:
• Tune into your environment, enjoy this Spring like none other
• Tune into the motivations behind the benefits of what really motivates your customers to buy
• Adjust your offerings, if necessary, or tell a refreshing new compelling story about your offerings
• Stop and smell the daffodils

No comments: